urbanmonklife

please imagine some really well worded disclaimer that explains anything i've written in a really acceptable way,

Friday, June 24, 2005

oh and I forgot to say.. I picked up my first hitchiker and his surfboard.

Been hanging out with the only insured parkour instructor in maybe anywhere. Have been eating ambient food. living in a crypt, picking punnets of fruit, and learning about the foreign policy of Neville Chamberlain's government and it's relation to changes in public opinion of the time.

AN EXERCISE:

Try walking at normal speed down the road (or in a park or in the country). Count your steps: 1...2...3...4...etc.
Now slow to half speed, so: Step...2...Step...4...Step...etc
Now slow to quarter speed: Step...2...3...4...Step...etc -this is quite hard, keep it up for a few minutes, let yourself relax,
Now slow again, to 1/8 speed. This is surprisingly hard. Keep it up..... relax....

The exercise:
Now try walking a distance that would usually take you 5mins, but at 1/8speed, so allow about 3/4 of an hour (this is perhaps most effective somewhere really interesting like a wood or a scrap metal heap, but everywhere is interesting really), you are in no rush at all.. SEE WHAT HAPPENS.

(this idea came to me from a postmodern theatre course at Bretton Hall Leeds Uni, I think the way it is going is a practice for contemplation in everyday life (so good monk stuff)).
...................................................................................................................

And I've become intrigued by hermits. I went to meet a man who I'd heard had lived in a cave for a while.
If anyone has anything they could teach me about hermits or their experiences please email me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home